Hello everyone! As promised on today’s Instagram photo, here’s a Q&A post for you all. Most of these are questions I often get through my Direct Messages and sometimes comment sections as well (especially about my art materials). Hopefully this post will answer any queries about my art and let you know a little more about myself too!
- ‘Where do you get your inspiration from? Everything! I am inspired by things I see everyday, from things and people in real life and on Instagram. Sometimes ideas just pop into my head while I’m alone and other times, I spot a cute colour scheme, clothing item etc and it comes out in my drawings and doodles.
- ‘What do you love most about drawing?’ There so many things I love about drawing but the thing I love the most is being able to bring a little joy into other people’s lives while doing the same for myself. As a full time student with a job as well, I often draw in the spare time I have (e.g before bed, during study breaks). I use art as my stress relief and to relax. The fact that my little doodles and sketches also make others happy is a huge bonus that encourages me to always continue to do what I love!
- ‘Why did you start an art account?’ Well… my Instagram account actually started off with one picture of myself and that was how it remained for about 2 years until my friends and family urged me to make use of it. I had no idea what to do as I wasn’t keen on posting a daily selfie or breakfast shot and so I considered doing a planner/organisation page or an art account, while finally deciding on the latter. However, I wasn’t too confident in my art at the time and only shared black and white fanarts of my favourite animes and mangas – I didn’t post very often either. It wasn’t until June 2016 that I decided to take my account and my art more seriously, having decided that I want to pursue my art in a future career. Since then, my art has evolved into more colourful and cute pieces featuring mostly my own original characters and work.
- ‘Should I start an art account?’ If art is something you enjoy and would love to share with others, then YES! Absolutely, just go for it. You might choose to keep the account as a hobby or take it more seriously, but there are lots of people out there who appreciate the abundance of different art styles.
- ‘Do you have any advice on starting my own art account?’ Post work that you are proud of and want to share with the world. Take on constructive criticism but ignore those who are just being insulting – don’t fuel the drama fire! Make sure to ask another artist if you want to use their work in any way (whether you are redrawing or reposting) and make sure to credit them. If someone has used your work without your permission, ask them politely to remove it or credit you and if they ignore you and refuse, report them. Enjoy yourself!
- ‘How do I get my account noticed by more people?’ Post as often as you can, perhaps once a day or every two days and show your followers that you appreciate their support. I try to respond to all comments and direct messages when I can, as well as posting quite often. Also, interact with other accounts! Liking and commenting on posts that you like, exposes your account to other people who like similar photos.
- ‘What pens do you use in your art?’ I use quite a few different pens but my Copic Ciaos have become a staple in my art now (check out post about them here!). Other marker brands I use for colouring are; the Faber-Castell Manga Brush sets, Tiger Twin-Tusch Markers and Dovecraft Metallic Markers. For my line art, I use; Sakura Micron liners (check out my post on them here!), Copic Multiliner 0.30mm and Faber-Castell S liner. For details, I use the Pilot White Gel Pen and the White Sakura Gelly Roll 08. I will do a future post on all the art materials I use including the pens I have listed, so stay tuned~
- ‘Are you doing art trades/requests?’ Unfortunately I don’t have time to take up specific drawing requests so I am not open to art trades or requests.
- ‘How do you balance your art account with your daily life?’ This is a popular question amongst my followers but especially people who know me in real life and the answer is I’m not sure! In a general, I love to be organised and I carry my Filofax planner with me everywhere so I think that could be it? I try to get my essays and notes done for classes first and foremost but I do draw during my breaks in between so I always a have a WIP on the go. It’s all about prioritising but doing what I really enjoy too.
- ‘Are you opening an online store or selling your art?’ Originally, I intended to open an online store this month but my A Level studies have to take priority so after a lot of thought, I have decided it would be best for me to set up my own store when I can dedicate more time to getting merch out to you all quickly. I feel it would be unfair to make you all wait for your orders and commissions and to put even more pressure on myself. So yes, I will be opening an online store one day but only when I know I can commit to it! 🙂
So that’s all for tonight! I hope that answered some of your questions and that those of you who want to start your own art accounts have been encouraged!